- 6 apples, peeled & cored & sliced finely
- 2 knobs of butter
- 2tblsp brown sugar (cassonade works well too)
- 1 tblsp honey
- short crust pastry
- confectionary sugar
- optional extras i.e. sultanas, cranberries, almond flakes etc.
Note: I opted for the easy way and used a pre-made pastry pie base
- Melt butter in a large pan and add apples, sauté until soft
- Add sugar and honey and simmer on low heat for a few minutes
- Add in any extras if desired i.e. sultanas, cranberries, almond flakes etc.
- Pour apple mixture into pie pastry
- Layer pastry lid over the top. Carefully trim the excess and press edges to join. Brush with a little milk. Note: you can get fancy here if you like and add any criss-crosses or other details
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) for approximately 50 minutes (give or take) until lightly browned
- Dust with confectionary sugar to finish if desired and leave to cool
This has been adapted from a recipe I first learned whilst living in Belgium.
NannySheCanDo & kids. xx